Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

my gums are pulling away from my teeth if i continue ...

Customer Question

my gums are pulling away from my teeth if i continue brushing properly will they go back?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 8 years ago.

It is difficult to infer from your description just how severe your gum disease is. A proper assessment for periodontal disease involves a methodical visual inspection, a thorough measurement of the depth of the gum pockets around each of the teeth, and an analysis of full-mouth x-rays. Without these diagnostic tools, it's impossible to know just what type of treatment will be necessary to manage or eliminate the problem.

However, gum disease severe enough to cause a visible pulling away of the gum from the teeth is probably in need of more aggressive treatment than simply brushing the teeth. It usually requires at least a thorough professional cleaning, as well as the implementation of a complete oral hygiene regimen-- and this will certainly require more than just a toothbrush. In particularly severe cases, some type of surgical management is also needed to provide optimum results.

I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your dentist to more accurately determine the scope of the problem, and to plan a strategy for improving your gum situation.

Hope this helps...