Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

i have an abcess tooth, but no money for dentist ...

Customer Question

i have an abcess tooth, but no money for dentist visit, what can i do to relieve the pain.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 9 years ago.
DearCustomer

Excluding professional dental intervention, your only recourse includes the use of over the counter pain medications (aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, naproxen, etc.), and frequent hot saline rinses (one-half teaspoon of salt dissolved in 8 ounces of hot water, swished in the mouth for two minutes every four hours) to soften the abscess to promote drainage of pus and serve as a counter-irritant to further control pain.

I would be remiss if I didn't urge you to re-think your strategy of self-treatment. Dental abscesses can become quite debilitating, and in the long run cost more money if they're not properly managed due to consequent absence from work and other responsibilities.

You may have options for sources of low-cost emergency dental care-- a dental school clinic, and acute care clinic or an emergency room in a hospital or other facility with a dental department, or even donated dental services if you qualify. I strongly recommend that you at least investigate your options before making any assumptions about whether dental care-- at least emergency dental care-- is financially out of reach for you.

For assistance in finding low-cost venues for dental care, consider calling your local dental society; contact information can be found at the following web page:

http://www.ada.org/ada/organizations/local.asp

Hope this helps...