Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I got a trailer Mar 1st and discovered a couple who were

Customer Question

I got a trailer Mar 1st and discovered a couple who were living in it without permission etc and told them to get out. They told meId have to file for an eviction which I began but I owned it and they did not have permission to be there, they were stealing property from it and when they finally disappeared the place was trashed, infested, so much damage. When I went to the police when I discovered them there I was told to file an eviction?? Then when I discovered all the damage and theft I was told it's a civil matter not criminal?? How is it the law is protecting these people who I view as trespassers, vandals and thiefs? I had no agreement, lease, etc verbal or written and can still not understand why they are going to be allowed to get away with it while I'm left with the mess and liability these people caused?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Ohio and I paid the taxes sand got the title March, 1 2017 and they disappeared last week and I went to the property and found it so damaged and so many appliances and tools etc stolen
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: The attorney I spoke with told me to call the police and file a report and it should be considered trespassing, theft and vandalism
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This was the response in less than 24hours from the Police and Proesecutor...spoke with the City Prosecutor's Office this morning and they advised me that this was a civil matter. So unfortunately my hands are tied. If you want to seek any kind of restitution you will have to take the individuals through small claims court. I apologize that I am unable to help you with this. Officer Justin Bogspoke with the City Prosecutor's Office this morning and they advised me that this was a civil matter. So unfortunately my hands are tied. If you want to seek any kind of restitution you will have to take the individuals through small claims court. I apologize that I am unable to help you with this. Officer Justin Boggsgs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have pictures from before these people turned up there and the after as well to prove the damage, I have 5+ witnesses that saw both the place before and after
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 month ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Were the people living in the trailer at the time you purchased it?