LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I am involved in a domestic violence case as a witness and

Customer Question

I am involved in a domestic violence case as a witness and don't want to testify because I didn't see anything happen, if I am called to stand how can I not say anything against the defendant
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Michigan, my boyfriend and his mother got in an argument one night and the cops ended up getting called. She didn't want this to happen either, he has prior offenses (not necessarily domestic violence ones though)
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 days ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you are subpoenaed to appear at a trial as a witness, you have no other choice but to attend or risk being found in contempt. But if you didn't see anything, didn't hear anything, related to the incident, then it is unlikely that you will be compelled to say anything bad against your mom's boyfriend.

What is it specifically that you are concerned about?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 days ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug