Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I have a driving violation while still in ASAP. It was

Customer Question

I have a driving violation while still in ASAP. It was driving suspended. What's going to happen with ASAP now? Do I get punished twice? I was driving back from the hospital and had papers, so the judge was lenient on the driving suspended.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia Beach, Virginia. I rarely drink and my life has been hell . I don't want to be homeless behind fighting to survive. I have no family help. I'm constantly convincing myself not to do anything capitally insane lol.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 12 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You can unfortunately be punished twice, once for driving with a suspended license and once for violating the terms of the ASAP. If they are going to impose additional penalties on you, you have the right to notice and an opportunity to be heard, just like with the original offense. You have a right to have a lawyer appointed to represent you if you cannot afford one. If you had a lawyer for the original case, call that person. It sometimes helps to talk to your probation officer, because judges often follow their recommendations.

The judge has a lot of discretion in deciding what to do. They could extend your probation or impose additional terms (like community service or higher fines). The judge will listen to why you were driving when making a decision.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.