MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

Is it illegal for a company specializing in SEO/Social Media

Customer Question

Is it illegal for a company specializing in SEO/Social Media to threaten a Negative SEO campaign against their client and it's CEO? We have a dispute on work performed, and we said: We're going to dispute with the venders we paid through, note it on yelp, file for small claims court, and should the court disagree, we'll correct yelp, and end the card disputes."
We are in California, they are in NY.Their owner said: Okay well then I will respond to the disputes, provide proof that work was completed, proof of communication
and then I will launch a full SEO campaign on (name of co) and (name of ceo) so every time someone even as little as Google's you or your company, they know who they are dealing with.
My offer was fair. If you escalate it to that point, I will respond 10x over. You are attempting to steal from me.
I will give you one last chance to think it over. If you make me jump through hoops to prove the work, I will do so AND I will do everything in my power to go against you and Company.
All of this can be avoided. You are the one who decides whether or not that happens.
I don't feel like disputing charges and doing negative SEO. I don't want to do that at all. However, I will if you try to steal from me.
Hopefully you make the right decision. My offer still stands but you need to decide now.
If I see ONE false dispute filed, you will be attempting to steal from me and then things will become much much worse. Don't take it to that point.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Technically, neither of you can threaten each other with negative posting/SEO. Your only recourse is to sue them and/or dispute the charges, but you cannot write negative reviews online due to the dispute you are having just like he cannot run a negative SEO campaign against your company for exercising your right to dispute the charges or work performed.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought people were allowed on yelp to review the service of a vender?

Yes, but if this vendor can prove that you are maliciously giving him a negative review in order to have leverage for your dispute, then he can sue you. I would be careful with that if I was in your shoes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good point. I was going to say: "vendor was very past deadline and, over a month later, has not completed some of the work to our satisfaction. We've paid nearly $1000. We are not a satisfied customer.Not a good idea?

Honestly, I would hold off on that (since there really isn't much to gain from doing it) and simply proceed with filing suit and the credit card payment disputes.