Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

If I rent my house to a tenant who unknown to me while being

Customer Question

If I rent my house to a tenant who unknown to me while being my tenant, uses drugs, manufactures or sells drugs from my house and harbors illegal aliens can my house be confiscated?
If I let a family member use my house and they harbor illegal aliens can my house be confiscated?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

.

No, you can't be penalized for the illegal actions of a 3rd party.

.

.

Again, no, for the same reason as above. Only the person who is engaging in the criminal actions can be held liable for those actions. You are the landlord here would be the innocent party whose property was just being used for illegal activities without your knowledge.

.

In order to try to seize your house, they would have to prove that you were actually engaging in the criminal activities yourself along with the occupants.

.

.

thanks