Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

I might already have the answer. My niece brought a car 2016

Customer Question

I might already have the answer. My niece brought a car 2016 Passat in July 2016 with the understanding that the person will pay the loan. He pay the loan through October 2016 and stopped. Now the bank is coming at her and he refuse to give her the car back and he also stated he will not make any more payments and he has moved to another state
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Virginia and he is in Kentucky now
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: by the way the car and the loan is in her name only
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I have read your comments but I don't see an actual legal question....

.

If you can post your question, I should be able to help..

.

Was there anything in writing regarding their agreement?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no. What does she need to do to get the car back being that he refuse to give it back and refuse to make any more payments
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will just find someone. thank you. I already paid the 36.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Does she have a key to the car or the title to it?

.

Does she know where the person is located now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has both keys and she knows he is in State of Kentucky. The address he was at, he no longer goes there
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Ok, she can get a duplicate copy of the title from the DMV and then take that to the dealer to get a key made based on the VIN.

.

Then since it is legally her car, she can simply go retake possession of it... if she can find him and the car. That might prove to be the problem if she doesn't know where he lives or works.. But if she can find him, she just takes the car back..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have addressed all your questions, I would very much appreciate a positive rating by clicking on the stars, smiley faces, or numbers on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much