Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

What does abeyance mean when on your record, utah, well,

Customer Question

What does abeyance mean when on your record
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: utah
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: well, that is the problem the layer we had will not return our calls, when going to his office he is always gone. He said he would give us a paperwork explaining it better
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my husband is having a very difficult time getting a job, it was a misdermeaner
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Did husband ever actually plead guilty to the charge?

.

Did he receive some type of penalty or not yet?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the layer convinced him to plead no contest, because it would be too dangerous to go to court, they would all be mormons and lean towards 2 girls and their testimony. He has to pay a fine and in july 2017 will be off his record.

Ok, that is what I thought happened... "held in abeyance" means that a final imposition of some type of penalty is being withheld for some period of time. Generally this occurs when the defendant is basically put on an informal probation and as long as they comply with all conditions of the probation, the penalty that is normally imposed is withheld and the charge is dismissed or expunged from the person's record so it doesn't show up.

.

So it is a good thing.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anyway to explain to possible employers the situation.

Honestly, about the only way to do so would be to claim that there wasn't enough evidence to convict him so they just told him to stay out of trouble for X months and they would then dismiss it..

.

But until that happens, it is going to show up as a pending charge..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have addressed all your questions, I would very much appreciate a positive rating by clicking on the stars, smiley faces, or numbers on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much