CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I have 2 theft charges on my record, I am wondering if there

Customer Question

I have 2 theft charges on my record, I am wondering if there is any way possible that I can get both of them expunged?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. Can you share with me what State the charges are in? Also, what are the charges?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you! I am in Tennessee, and both of the charges are misdemeanor theft charges

On July 1, 2012, a new law went into effect that allows Tennessee residents convicted of certain crimes to be able to have that incident expunged from their records, pursuant to T.C.A. 40-32-101(g).

Only certain crimes are eligible for expunction; they must be non-violent, non-DUI and non-sexual crimes. Crimes eligible are most misdemeanors and some Class E felonies, including forgery, theft, vandalism, and fraudulent or false insurance claim, among others.

Additional stipulations exist for those crimes which qualify:
The individual must have no other convictions than the one under review, and
The individual must have completed all terms of his or her sentencing, paid all fines/ fees/ assessments, and
At least five years must have elapsed from the completion of the individual’s sentence, and
The individual must also pay a fee of $450 to the Clerk of the Court.

However, the issue which you are going to run into, is that you have TWO charges, which is likely going to disqualify you for the expungement, since only one is allowed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there's no way POSSIBLE that i can get both expunged? I am already in the process of getting one expunged, but i am needing to get the 2nd one off as well. So I have no hope at all?

I am sorry but it will not be possible. Expungement is a tool for first time offenders, who may have made a mistake and have not gotten into any trouble, thereafter. However, if you picked up another charge for the same thing ( theft), the State of TN is not going to expungement it. I know it is not ideal but I wanted to be upfront and honest with you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks for your honesty .

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.