Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If I received a Certificate of Release that says it was only

Customer Question

If I received a Certificate of Release that says it was only a detention at a facility for treatment, does the detention show up on my record at all?
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My brother in law and sister thought I was contemplating hurting myself and he is a lawyer but he did not know if this detention would show up or not and so he referred me to this link.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was intoxicated but there is no booking number.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just so you know...I was in bed sleeping when the police showed up at my house!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Never mind. please cancel this. I will call my brother in law. I am not going to pay for this. Ridiculous!

Good morning,

This sounds like you are talking about a 5150 involuntary 3 day hold?

Being placed on a 5150 hold pursuant to Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code sections 5150 and 5250 are not considered an arrest. Rather, it is simply a hold to provide assessment, evaluation, and crisis intervention as a result of a mental disorder. As a 5150 hold is not considered an arrest, it should not appear on a criminal record background check, as this information is protected by an individual’s right to privacy pursuant to Cal. Welf. & Inst. Code section 5328.

The 5150 is a civil record, and most private businesses will only run a criminal background check.

You have to give me time to type out a response, please, as well as research the proper civil/criminal codes. Also, we are often assisting more than one customer at a time. I am going as quickly as possible.

Did you still wish for me to continue my response? Otherwise, you may contact customer service and they can cancel for you. Experts do not have access to accounts or billing, so we cannot do this for you.