Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My house was raided 38 grams of meth was found my girlfriend

Customer Question

My house was raided 38 grams of meth was found my girlfriend was at my house she was charge with possession and her car was seized for trafficking but neither of use was charged with trafficking
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My appointed one he was not sure
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There was nothing found in the car
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

But first. . .

What is the question you have about this situation?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

I was hoping to get an answer from you before I replied to this question. I'm not 100% sure about what you want to know. However, I'll post a reply and if this doesn't address what you wanted, please reply here on this question thread and let me know. I'll be happy to add to my answer

If you're asking whether the police have the right to take the car, the answer is that they do. If they think that the car was either used to commit a crime or was bought with drug money, they can take the car and send you a notice of forfeiture. The owner of the car would get a notice and could request a hearing to show evidence that the car was purchased lawfully and was not used to commit a crime. If you win the hearing, you get your car back. Otherwise, it belongs to the state.