Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I had an altercation with a fellow employee and he reported

Customer Question

Hi there, I had an altercation with a fellow employee and he reported to the police. I got a call from the police yesterday saying someone filled assault charges against me and can I stop by at the station to tell my side of the story which I did. Do you think I made a mistake? What should I have done?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: I live in WA states and it happened on the 22nd December last year.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

It really depends on what you told the police.

If you would have asked in advance to going in to speak with police officers, my recommendation would have been to consult with an attorney about the specific facts of your situation and what you should say to police, and/or have your attorney accompany you to the station.

What you need to know: whatever you said can be used as evidence against you in court; so if you admitted to anything incriminating etc. it can be used as evidence against you in a trial.

Since this was reported to police, you can expect that the arrest form will be sent over to the local prosecutor's office, at which point the prosecutor may file formal criminal charges against you.

If that happens, you will receive notice in the mail to attend your first court date. Hopefully that does not develop, but if it does, my recommendation would be to hire an attorney to represent you.

Having an attorney working on your behalf can make the world of difference in your case, and while I don't know the specific facts of what happened it stands that you may have some valid legal defenses.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to kindly rate me using 3 stars or more, as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. I do not receive a salary here, and am only compensated for my time after you leave me a positive rating. The question won't close after you rate me, so you can still ask any follow-up questions you might have. Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!