Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My son was granted parole, appropriate papers filed and sent

Customer Question

my son was granted parole, appropriate papers filed and sent to Alabama from Tenn. but someone on Alabama has been sitting on them for three weeks do I need a lawyer to effect his release
JA: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: He is in Alabama dept of corrections at Bibb
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The approximate cost
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if he has been granted parole, then he should be released in accordance with the parole order. If they are not releasing him within a reasonable time and not abiding by the parole order, you would use an attorney in Alabama to file a petition for writ of habeas corpus to ask the court to order his immediate release in accordance with the parole order.
The cost for an attorney in Alabama to do this could be about $3000 or so, it depends on the criminal defense attorney you use.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.