How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25971
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been issued a warrant for arrest due to non

Customer Question

Hello I have been issued a warrant for arrest due to non appearance in court for a traffic ticket. I would like to discuss how to deal with the warrant
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am not sure if anything has been filed. The latest ticket I received just stated that this has been forwarded to police
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it for now. How will they contact me?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

In my experience, police are unlikely to invest much energy sending out a team to bring back someone who warranted on a traffic ticket. You've got your notice that a warrant has been issued, and you know you should tend to it. If you don't, if you're picked up for anything at all, the warrant will turn up and you'll be arrested. If you manage to avoid getting in trouble for long enough, the state will suspend your driver's license and you'll have to come back to court if you want your license renewed.

Could they come to your house or your job to round you up, however? Yes, they can. It's just unlikely they will do that for this type of an offense.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you please advise me on my next steps as I am out of country for the next one week and wouldn't want any trouble at the immigration while I'm entering the country. Also note that I am a foreign national with a valid working visa in the united states.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

I don't know that a prosecutor would have your passport flagged due to a traffic warrant, but as you cannot rule that out, you need to hire a NJ criminal lawyer to see if he can quash the warrant and get you a new court date so that you can re-enter the US safely.

Try the NJ Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge about $50 for the referral, but that includes a free consultation with the attorney that you can have by phone.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.