How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13187
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got cought with 68 grams of pot in 1986 or87 68 grams and

Customer Question

my name is su***** **** ***** i got cought with 68 grams of pot in 1986 or87 68 grams and got a felony how can i get that felony off my recoed i am 54 years old now JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge? Customer: vermont got caught with 68 grams of pot in 1986 87 cant remeber JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet? Customer: no JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: no

Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

The process you're talking about is called expungement, which means that all of the records related to your criminal charge are physically destroyed by court order. This includes all information documenting your contact with the criminal justice system including police reports, records in the prosecutor’s office and court records.

Unfortunately, every state sets their own laws regarding expungement and what charges may or may not be expunged, and some states are more stringent in their requirements than others. Under Vermont law, only certain crimes are eligible to be expunged, the vast majority of which are misdemeanors. The only felonies eligible are grand larceny or unlawful mischief with damage exceeding $1,000. Therefore regrettably, while I don't like to give bad news, this conviction cannot come off your record.

You could seek a pardon from the State of Vermont, still. A pardon, if granted, won't expunge your record, but you would be able to tell people that you were pardoned for the crime of which you were convicted.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!