RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My grandson received a citation in North Carolina for

Customer Question

My grandson received a citation in North Carolina for driving 86 MPH on I 77 at midnight where the speed limit is 70 MPH. It is considered a misdemeanor and he has to appear in court on March 2016 in the Dobson, NC Courthouse We are considering if an attorney is needed, or if his appearance will result in lasting his license. He has no other traffic citations. JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge? Customer: North Carolina JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet? Customer: NO JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: not that I can think of. He is concerned that his insurance will increase, and what the fine will be.

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

He definitely needs to speak to a local lawyer and have one negotiate the charge down for him. While this is a misdemeanor charge, the law provides that those who don't have any prior convictions (or even just a couple) will face a fine, up to $200. The problem is he would then have a misdemeanor conviction on his record. Furthermore, he would face an increase in his insurance premiums, and the court will suspend his license if convicted under Section 20-141 (Speeding over 15 mph/over 80 mph).

His clean driving history is what will help get the charge reduced and can save his license from being suspended and higher insurance (he should try to get a copy of it from the DMV to show the lawyer). How the district attorney's office would want to handle it will vary by county, but a fine, having to take a defensive driving class and possibly having to do some community service would not be out of the question.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed about this question?

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I passed your response on to my grandson. His date at the court is March 17 in Dodson, NC. Thank you for your response.

You're very welcome. If you'd be so kind as to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that would be most appreciated.