Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I'm a Truck driver. I'm driving the 8 car hauler trailer.

Hello! I'm a Truck driver. I'm driving the 8 car hauler trailer. And police in new Mexico found lots of drugs in one car(about that of course I didn't know) . They asking me to help them and do my job deliver this car to the customer. Could you give me advice. I'm also not a resident of USA, can I ask for a green card for that? They are saying I can actually

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if you had no knowledge of the car having the drugs, it does not belong to you and it was being hauled for a customer, then technically they cannot charge you because they cannot prove you have any connections to the drugs. If you are going to assist the police with the delivery, you could indeed ask for immigration to be involved to make a deal to get some consideration for permanent resident status for your assistance in the case.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for quick respond. They are saying they can't promise me anything. And after all done after I'll do the job we can talk about it and what they can do. So I think they just want to use me

Thank you for your reply.

The police cannot promise anything, this is why you need to tell them you want to talk to US Customs and Immigration Services and their US Attorney, not local police, if they want your help. Only USCIS and the US Attorney can negotiate a deal with you like this for a green card or residence status.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello. So I did what they asked. But I didn't sign any deal with them and USCIS. They said that they will push it through after. Now i'm waiting for what USCIS will replay to them and money reward that government can give me for my involved. I just want to ask you can a lawyer better help me in this case to get some contribution for my assistance like money or Immigration status?
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, a local immigration attorney can indeed assist you and can help you in making sure they honor the deal with you for your help and they will be able to sit with the US Attorney on the case to make sure they honor that deal.