ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I was a passenger when our vehicle was stopped by police for

Customer Question

I was a passenger when our vehicle was stopped by police for faulty rear license plate light. Sheriff asked for I D's. I was arrested for 9yr old warrent. Driver was let go, no ticket issued. Illegal arrest?
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Assuming that the warrant was still "active" and there was no indication that the warrant was obtained by false information given by a police officer, then it would not be a "wrongful" or "illegal" arrest. Illegal / wrongful arrests depend upon the knowledge / intent of the officer arresting or that supplied the information for the warrant. But if it was a valid warrant that was still open, even the fact that it was so late, and even the fact that the driver was not charged / let go, etc... means that the arrest was not illegal. It was only illegal if the warrant was closed, or obtained with false information knowingly/intentionally by the officer submitting the affidavit 9 years ago.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Hello? q

Hello?

Again, I need you to rate the answer on your screen. Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it?

I see that you still​ have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.