Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Ive been caught 2 times for being in a bawdy house with 2

Customer Question

ive been caught 2 times for being in a bawdy house with 2 massage tickets for no license in virginia.
what could i face up? i wasnt in the act i was fully dressed and leaving, so not sure what to do. Should i get a lawyer or wait until a court date?
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had ad put up and then did appointments for a body rub, the 2 times i got caught i got a ticket for maintaining a bawdy house and no massage license.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No you should not wait until court to get a lawyer, you need to have a lawyer show up with you in court to represent you and plead not guilty and then to negotiate with the commonwealth attorney to try to get the charges dismissed.
The bawdy house penalty carries up to 1 year in jail and up to a $2500 fine, as does the failure to have a license. So these are both misdemeanor criminal offenses and a local attorney can help to negotiate to try to keep your criminal record clear and seek to get the charges dismissed or reduced to something like a disorderly conduct charge instead of these more serious charges.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, but i have 2 tickets for same offense, does that double my charge? I have court on same date for both.
Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

The sentence would be up to 1 year and $2500 for EACH CHARGE, so that is why you need to get a local attorney before you go to court.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I get that, i have 2 tickets but i also got caught by the police twice, so i have 2 tickets for maintaining a bawdy house and 2 tickets for no massage license.

Thank you for your reply.

So you would face 4 times the penalty, one for each ticket you got. You would have 2 years and $5000 for the bawdy house and 2 years and $5000 for the no license. Those would be the maximum penalties you are facing.