Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I just got a refersal on my convition for DUI on my

Customer Question

I just got a refersal on my convition for DUI on my wheelchair been without my license for 4 years now can I sue for the loss
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oregon
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: one
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry, but I do not have good news for you. Legally, if you were convicted and lost your license, there is nobody to sue. The law considers driving license a privilege and not a right, so the state may revoke the license and you can appeal the revocation and by now after 4 years you can seek to have your license reinstated, but the state statute in Oregon exempts the state or law enforcement from being sued over the loss of your license under their statutory immunity.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.