Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I just found out my son was arrested... In Island NY on

Customer Question

I just found out my son was arrested...
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: In Long Island NY on Saturday
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I just found out
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He was charged with a few different things
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I am a New York State criminal defense attorney. What is your question?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

In New York State all defendants must be arraigned within 24 hours of their arrest. That means, if he was arrested yesterday, he will come before the judge at some point today. You can call the court and ask to speak to an arraignment clerk. He or she can tell you whether his papers are in the court and whether he will be arraigned at some point today or this evening.

If you can show up to court for his arraignment, that can make the difference sometimes between a defendant being released on his own recognizance and bail being set. It shows the judge that the defendant has ties to the community and would not be a flight risk.

As a jail case, unless he has a private attorney who shows up, he will typically be assigned a public defender for the arraignment who will represent him before the judge and make a bail application on his behalf. That public defender will typically check with the audience to see if any family members are in the courtroom before the case is called. So going to arraignments is also a good way to get information about the case.

Your son may already have been arraigned and this may not be what you wanted to know. So if you reply to this question thread with your actual question about this situation, I can expand my answer. Please include what your son's charges are and also the age of your son.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.