Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

Alex I asked if I need to file for an extension or

Customer Question

Hello Alex I asked if I need to file for an extension or continuance or can I ask for that at my court date? And also do I have a right to see all of the facts of my case? And how would I go about obtaining those? Thank you so much.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

2 weeks is more than enough time to find a lawyer, so it is important to contact and retain a local attorney before the court date, as the court is not obligated to grant continuance.

Also, it is never a good idea to try to represent yourself in a criminal case, even if the person is a licensed lawyer and not someone who has no law degree, not a licensed attorney and doesn't have the legal knowledge and experience that is required in order to effectively handle criminal case.

There would be no way to learn about criminal law and criminal procedure in a short time, as it takes lawyers 3 years of law school and many years of practice to learn the law and criminal procedure.

I wish you the best of luck!