Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

My friend got arrested because my son pressed charges on him

Customer Question

my friend got arrested because my son pressed charges on him because he hit him with a billy club. my friend is on life with parole in ny the judge in yorktown gave him 20,000.00 bail and it was declared a felon. I put up his bail but he could not get out because his po stopped it. he has had one session with the parole board and they determined he had intent because of the billy club. I was right between both of them and my son went towards billy kept egging him on to fight and billy hit his hand in defence of me and himself. there was no intent. being charge in yorktown has been dropped to a a misdemeanor with time served, now on 12/20 he has to go to a fianl parole hearing. he does not want to go back to jail what do you think will happen and is there anything he can do know to get out. He has lived with me for the last 7 years and has done everything expected of him by his po. He is schedulaed to go before the parole board in January 2017.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 8 days ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

He should do the following:

• Go to the hearing dressing well. He should wear a suit or a dress shirt with dress pants and shoes (not sneakers).
  • He should be respectful and never raise his voice or argue.
  • He should answer the questions asked truthfully.
  • He should put forth all the positive things he has done while he has been on parole (work, church, family, no drugs, no parole violations);
  • Bring a witness (you) who can say what happened and was not the person who started this. You say this is your son. It will have an impact if you testify that your son was pressing him; testify of how the billy club only hit your son's hand.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.