Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

Perhaps.id like to know if I'm allowed to purchase a

Customer Question

Perhaps.id like to know if I'm allowed to purchase a weapon,whetger
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Whether it's a regular gun,long gun or just black powder since I do have arrest record but was never in jail.want to find out without getting in trouble for even asking
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No sir
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure.as I am new to this.been twenty years...but,just want to know before I try,get in trouble.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 days ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using the forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

You say that you were arrested, but there was never any conviction (you were not convicted of a crime, nor did you serve any jail or prison time). An arrest alone will not prevent you from purchasing a firearm.

However, do be aware, purchase of a firearm (long gun or handgun) will require you to go through a federal background check from a licensed firearm dealer, this is required for ALL purchasers, and it does take 10-14 days depending on the state.
Ensure that you are buying your gun either from or through a reputable and licensed firearm dealer (so if you plan on buying a gun from a private party, the transaction needs to be completed through a licensed dealer such as a gun store).

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Not true. If from a private seller, dealer, no check. I did not say I wasn't convicted. I said I did not go to jail. There ARE STIPULATION S AUTO what big can buy, since not violent crime. Plus there's vintage guns, black powder etc. Seems to be I know a lot more. Hey, I was setup, not guilty but is on record. I had probation for the but.. If charges were not over a year, it stipulates I COULD purchase some sort if weapon legally. So, sir. With all due respect, u are already wrong.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 days ago.

Dear Customer, I am going to "opt out" and allow another expert to follow up with you. Please do not post any further at this time as it will delay the next expert's ability to follow up. If you need any assistance in the meantime, please contact our customer service at: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help Thank you for using our forum, and I do wish you the best of luck. Bill

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 days ago.

What were you convicted of and, more importantly, what was the maximum possible sentence you could have received for the crime?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 days ago.

I will be away from the computer for a little while but will check when I return to see if you have posted.