CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I'm 36 and live in Michigan. On 6/1/2001 I was convicted of

Customer Question

Hi, my name is*****'m 36 and live in Michigan. On 6/1/2001 I was convicted of 3rd degree retail fraud. I am looking to get a job as a dealer or a slot attendant in a casino in my state. If I take the steps to expunge my record, will I be able to get a job, or will my record still disqualify me? If yes,
which states can I get a casino job in? How about say, Nevada? I realize it varies from state to state. Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 16 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning and I certainly understand the situation and your concern.

The decision to hire you, is based upon the casino and their internal process and a potential employees background. The issue is the crime itself, which was retail fraud and when you are a dealer in a casino and around money and have a prior such as this, which reflect on dishonesty, the casino may decide to simply not hire you. I do understand this was 15 years ago and it was a mistake but it would be at the discretion of the casino, as to how far back they look and if they want to hire you. If you get this expunged, it should not be viewed by the public, so the casino itself, should not likely see this if they run a background check. However, if you apply for a license and/or need a license with the State, they could then see it, so that is always questionable. If you can get this expunged, it is certainly in your best interest to do so. When you do, you can still apply, as the decision to hire is on a case by case basis and there is no one State or Casino that hires with this over another.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 13 days ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!