CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

Who has the last word when it comes to terminate probation

Customer Question

Who has the last word when it comes to terminate probation ??? and if it's the Judge can anybody overwrite him ???
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NYC
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No! I Sent in a request to the Judge thru the probation dept.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 11 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Once the term of the probation is over with and the defendant has complied with all the terms and conditions, it will be terminated. A defendant can not be required to stay on probation for a greater time then ordered, if they complied. Now, if a defendant wants to terminate their probation early, then the Judge will have the final say. The Judge will hear from the probation officer, the State and the Defendant, to consider if probation should be terminated early and if there are any objects and the basis for or against it.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!