RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Can I be made to testify against my sin in court in Ca, It's

Customer Question

Can I be made to testify against my sin in court in Ca
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: It's in ca. Semester violance
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I havent
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will I go to jail coz I won't say anything
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I have the right not to testify. I won't
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Unfortunately, the prosecution can subpoena you to force you to testify against your child, yes. If you refuse, you will be held in contempt of court, and the judge can sanction you, including by putting you in jail for refusing to talk. I can't say for certain that this is what a judge would do, but they do have that authority.

If there is anything that you would say that would incriminate you personally, you have the right to take the 5th on the witness stand and not say anything.

If you are somehow caught up in your son's criminal case, you may wish to speak to a local criminal defense attorney about the matter and your options (many lawyers offer free or low cost consultations with no obligation, of course). Just remember that you should have independent counsel - not the same attorney that is representing your son (since that could potentially be a conflict).

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Just checking in to see if there was any additional information you needed about this matter? Anything I could clarify about my answer?

If not, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page so that I am credited for my time and assistance. Thank you.