Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was just charged in Fl with Battery against my husband

Customer Question

I was just charged in Perry Fl with Battery against my husband because he failed to tell the law officer "everything" that he had done over the past two years to lead up to the lashing out at him! I am a Christian lady;however, due to several mental, physcial, and emotionally abusive relationships I have unfortunately been in and the "conartists" I have dealt with, I have chosen in 2013 after 13 years of having an LPN licensure to file for disability due to the horrific anxiety and emotional trauma I was suffering from. My present husband and I met through his mother and father who were attending the same church that I was and they introduced us. I thought for sure he was finally the one for me! He had a stable job and home; however, he was totally lost!!! He had been involved in a relationship with a man and his wife and kids and lied about the entirety of it! I later found a picture of him and the woman on our home computer, completely out of innocence, and all he could say was he didn't care and wasn't ashamed of his past! He has been nothing but disrespectful and tried to make others believe that I am crazy and he is Mr. innocent! He treats me one way and "talks and acts totally different" toward other women on the phone and in public! He is a TOTAL Fake!!! However, I love him so what do I do? Today is our 2 yr wedding anniversary! Conseqently, now I am on 18 months probation with a Battery DV charge and have to take BIP courses when he should be the one taking them!!!!!!!!!!!
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes Ma'am, Perry, Fl.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes Ma'am, my court appointed attorney was Richard Lavasseur. He told me that I could either take the plea bargain or it would be even worse if I took it to trial. However, I had an issue with the solicitor and the way she told me she could not speak to me, and I feel that she was only judging me by her own "biased" opinion!!!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No Ma'am? Is this going to be a free consultation? I am just wondering since I took a plea bargain if I can appeal it?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you took a plea bargain, then you gave up your right to appeal the conviction unless there is some newly discovered evidence you did not have access to or know existed at the time you entered your plea. I am afraid that absent newly discovered evidence, you would not be able to file any appeal and you would need to consider trying to get your husband into therapy such as couples counseling if you are insisting on remaining together, because that is the only way your situation is going have a chance of improvement.
If he refuses to cooperate in therapy, you need to consider this as another one of those codependent relationships you have gotten involved in like your previous ones and you need to really work with your therapist about breaking away, because unless he agrees to therapy to resolve these couples issues, your situation will never improve.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for the advice. That's exactly what we're planning on doing is going to Christian counseling starting 12/6/16. I won't be needing any further information so please do not bill my credit card anymore after the $36 fee ok? Thanks again. Terri E****
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your reply.
While you may have seen a charge on your credit card, that charge was only a deposit to this site.