Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was arrested for patronizing a, colorado, yesterday, no, i

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: i was arrested for patronizing a prostitute
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: colorado, yesterday
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have f1 visa
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us regarding this matter?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
what are the potential consequences?
Patronizing is a class 1 misdemeanor, punishable by six to 18 months in jail and a fine of $500 to $5,000. If you are convicted of patronizing you can also be required to pay an additional fine of up to $5,000 to a special fund for prostitution enforcement.
Most times if it is a first offense, no jail time will be given, you will face probation and the fines. Average fines are about $2000 plus the payment of the same amount to the special fund.
You must have an attorney, because those with attorneys, especially on a first offense, have a better chance of getting either a dismissal or at least a deferred adjudication where once you complete probation and pay the fines off (which an attorney can usually keep to a minimum) the DA will dismiss the charges and it will keep you from having a conviction on your record, which can impair your ability to get jobs or even rental property.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.