PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I had a judge refuse to allow me to reopen a civil claim

Customer Question

I had a judge refuse to allow me to reopen a civil claim against my former employer who exposed me to asbestos causing disability. the administrative judge in the worker's comp claim dismissed my civil claims stating I could reopen it if I was unhappy with the outcome of the w/c claim. I lost, lock stock and barrell. When I tried to reopen my civil claim, the circuit judge denied the request stating double jeopardy, though the employer had not been sued in civil court for this matter.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Jacksonville, FL/
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not been able to find one who will take the case because the employer is so "highly regarded" in the community.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I worked for an asbestos law firm who did class action suits. My job was to interview the clients for product information. They came covered in asbestos dust from work, brought torn bags, buckets and envelops of raw asbestos. We were given no directions on protection, which is a breach of his fiduciary duty. There were no air quality test done at that time. I provided the Manville Conspiracy Trust, Federal law and my diagnosis which all state my lung condition is only caused by asbestos.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 16 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You would need to appeal to the Florida Supreme Court.

If you are having trouble finding an Attorney, you may have no choice but to go it alone. The Clerk's office where the case was denied, where the Judge denied to reopen the case, should give you the form to file a notice of the appeal. In the meantime, you can use the sites below to keep looking for an Attorney to represent you.

Best wishes,

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org