How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3095
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a person being accused of qualified theft was not able to

Customer Question

if a person being accused of qualified theft was not able to attend the court hearing because she was not informed of her case and she was out of the country the time the subpoena was served, what will happen to her and the case?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the subpoena was issued in?
Customer: not in US in the Philippines
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: before the case was filed, they were trying to contact me but since I am not in the Philippines that time, I was not able to give my side of defense.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Please clarify. Is the crime of which you are accused being prosecuted in the Philippines or in the US?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
in the philippines and I am currently in the us
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think I am being set up here attorney. while I am away, people from my office dig up on my files. that's probably where they got the idea to set me up on this criminal case.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Thank you.

I'm going to opt out of this question since this requires knowledge of the criminal procedural law of the Philippines and is not a US law question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if that will be the case atty., if I am in us now if they will serve a warrant of arrest in the philippines, will that be extended here in the us meaning, the us police can arrest me and deport me to philippines?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my partner needs to go abroad with our 2 kids, does he need any documents coming from me so he can bring along our kids without me?