Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was just wondering what the rules and guidelines are in

Customer Question

I was just wondering what the rules and guidelines are in Kansas of owning a gun and being a convicted felon in aother state.? Is it possible ?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kansas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No I was just wondering what I need to do to own a gun
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: All of my felonys are non violent and I was never convicted with a firearm in my possession
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 14 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay. Thank you.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 14 days ago.

Unfortunately, it does not matter whether your felonies were violent or nonviolent, how long ago they were, or what state you were convicted in. A felony conviction costs you your state and federal gun rights. That means you cannot own or possess a weapon anywhere in the United States or its territories without risking an arrest for being a felon in possession of a firearm

In order to get rid of that disability, you must get your gun rights restored by the state that took them away in the first place. Once that happens the federal government will lift its ban as to your gun rights and you should be eligible to carry a weapon in Kansas.

In what state were you convicted of your crime? Was it a state or Federal felony?