Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I have a situation where I told a female friend (I am male)

Customer Question

I have a situation where I told a female friend (I am male) that I would go away with her and I would pay (we are only friends) but now I am having second thoughts. If I back out and thus she doesn't get to go away for free is there anything that can be held against me? Can she sue me for anything or do I have nothing to worry about?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 19 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A promise to give someone a gift is not legally enforceable. The only way she could sue you is if, for example, she relied on your promise in a way that cost her money. If you didn't tell her you weren't paying until you got to the hotel, then you could be required to reimburse her for whatever she spent on a hotel room. Or if she paid to get a passport because you were going to take her out of the country, a judge could tell you to reimburse her for that - if she wouldn't have gotten a passport, anyway. But you wouldn't be on the hook for the entire cost of the trip, and a judge wouldn't make you take her on vacation.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.