Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Ok, a Crime was committed that i had no idea about the

Customer Question

ok, a Crime was committed that i had no idea about the suspects jumped into my car after. I continued to drive regular because i had no idea what was going on. The guy that they (jumped/Crime) followed my car to an intersection, I feared for my life so i took off, prompting the CHP to apprehend my vehicle. Maybe 30 seconds later i pull over in residential area and shut my car off and throw the keys on the ground. the other suspects ran, without my knowledge one of them purposely left the gun in my car, so now im arrested and looking to be charged with Robbery, Possession of a gun with altered serial number, and possession of a concealed firearm, they are both Felony charges, and the latter one is a Misdemeanor. I have a clean record, never been in trouble with the law, I work and try my best to survive as a productive citizen, Ive already received threats on whats going to happen to me if i go to jail or prison, im not made for this, i wanted to sign up for school and get my audio engineering certificate. What can i do to insure justice is served. Because I, an innocent man does not deserve to be incarcerated for a crime i had nothing to do with.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 23 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

1) What state is this in?

2) Have you been to Court yet?

3) " i had no idea about the suspects jumped into my car after." What do you mean? Were they your friends? Or are you a taxi driver or an Uber driver, etc? Surely you noticed them if they entered your vehicle...?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
California, no court yet i had to bail out jail/prison is not for me. they were my little brothers friends
Expert:  Ely replied 23 days ago.

Thank you. So to clarify, you noticed them, but simply had no idea that they were involved in a robbery moments later? And you just happened to be at that area of the city where they recognized your car? So they jumped in, asked for a ride, and you obliged. Correct?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
but they had called and asked me to pick them up from a friends house.
Expert:  Ely replied 23 days ago.
Okay, thank you.
First of all, understand that the first court date you will be going to is not the "first and last" court date - it is one of several resets, likely.
This would be your first hearing and an ARRAIGNMENT where one pleads GUILTY or NOT GUILTY. If you plead guilty, you may have been sentenced or at the very least the case would have been over with you being convicted. Ergo, individuals in your situation generally always want to plead NOT GUILTY.
Now, the case is going to be reset. These hearings will reset several times to allow your attorney and the prosecutor (DA) to discuss a plea deal. Normally, the case is reset about 3-4 times before you have to make a choice:
1) plead guilty and simply have the Court sentence you (not recommended);
2) take the matter to trial and risk either being convicted and sentenced, or, acquitted of charges (fairly risky); or
3) make a plea deal with the DA.
About 85% or more of such charges end with a plea deal.
The DA's leverage is that possible certainty that you would be found guilty if he takes this to trial. Your leverage is not only possibility of being found not guilty if taken to trial, but also the pressure exerted unto the DA if the defense pushes for trial, which means man hours, preparation, and a lot of court time.
What someone in your situation may wish to do is to first try to convince the prosecutor via defense counsel that you were NOT involved. Statements from the other Defendants that confirm this would HELP the case. If so, then the prosecutor may drop the case. If not, then one can still take their chance at trial and hope that the Judge/Jury believes you version of events.
So your first step should be to find a good attorney (let me know if you need help doing so) to do all this for you.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
i appreciate your time, but the info wasn't what i was looking for.