Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

My husband is on probation for arson from back in 2008 he is

Customer Question

my husband is on probation for arson from back in 2008 he is on po hold now for drinking (he on no drink) and disorectly conduct and damage to property both misdemeanor charges can probation revoke him for this . he hasnt been in trouble in over a year last time in trouble was 2013 of we live in wisconsin
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 24 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The judge has discretion to revoke a person's probation for any violation, even relatively minor ones. So, yes, it is possible. Whether it's likely depends on multiple factors, including how much longer he has on probation, how many violations there have been, and whether the probation officer thinks revocation would be best under the circumstances.

Instead, they also have the ability to extend his probation or add additional requirements. For example, the judge could order him to complete an alcohol education course or similar treatment within 30 or 60 days and provide proof to avoid having probation revoked. It's not uncommon for the judge to give people another chance at these hearings.

What can help is for him to talk to the probation officer. Frequently, the judge follows the PO's recommendation, so it can help to either get him on your side, or to find out what he's thinking so you can better argue against it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 20 days ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?