Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My daughter has just reached a plea agreement with the

Customer Question

My daughter has just reached a plea agreement with the commonwealths attorney. Because her charges included a possible felony, I am told she must return to court this Wednesday so that the grand jury can approve her plea agreement and set terms for the agreement. Will there be a jury present?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Virginia. She was charged with dui, obstruction of justice, refusal of a breathalyzer, and assault on a police officer. It was agreed that she would plead guilty of the first three charges and that if she has a clean record for the next 12 months, the assault charge would be dropped to a misdomenor.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm not sure what you mean.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would assume that the plea bargain has been filed so that the grand jury can review it. My questions are, will there be a jury present, and is there a possibility that they will not agree to the plea bargain. She, her lawyer, the commonwealths attorney, and the police officer involved have all agreed to this plea bargain.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me who told you this?