Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

My sister had served with a protection order. It was served

Customer Question

My sister had served with a protection order. It was served after 5PM the day before the court date which was at 9AM an hour and a half to two hours away. I didn't make it to the court date. Now what happens? Also, later that day,around 5PM she had me served at work again
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: Washington
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: The first one says temporary order for protection and notice of hearing-vulnerable adult...which is my Mom. Superior court. The second one says order for peotectiob-vulberabke adult
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't talked to a lawyer. Money is an issue. I was living with Mom in her place taking care of her. Now my sister took my Mom and has kicked me out of the house. So, I am without a home and more importantly without my Mom. I had been taking care of her for almost a 6uear.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 26 days ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

I am sorry to hear about all that your family is going through.

If you were summoned to a court date and missed it, it is possible that a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest. It is important for you to contact the court to find out if such a warrant was issued. You can call the court clerk to find out.

The court date and notice of hearing gave you the opportunity to challenge the issuance of a full order of protection. Because you missed the court date, a full order of protection is in effect. The temporary order of protection that you received first is no longer in effect.

You do have a right to challenge the full order of protection by filing a motion and appearing in court for a hearing. Here is the motion form that you will need to fill out and bring to the clerk of the court:

You may have to pay a fee. Ask the clerk of the same court that you received the order of protection from.

Here is a handbook to help you navigate the proceedings more:

If your motion to terminate is successful, you may be able to be reunited with your mother again. Make sure to follow the order of protection until that happens. You can be arrested and charged with a crime if you don't.

Please let me know if I can help more. I will be happy to answer more of your questions.

If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me by clicking on the stars.