Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

My friend got arrested in california for an 18 year old

Customer Question

My friend got arrested in california for an 18 year old "failure to complete probation" in texas. I'm trying to figure out how likely it might be for Texas to go through with formal extradition. The original charge was for less than 1/3 gram of cocaine, and she already did two years for that in Texas, plus a bunch of probation. Doesn't it cost a lot of money for texas to transport such a fugitive and it is worth it for Texas?
JA: Was this a first-time offense, or is there a record of criminal activity?
Customer: I know there was another offense in Florida, and I believe the Texas offence was second. She is currently an inmate in california.
JA: In what state did this occur? And has an attorney been consulted?
Customer: The cocaine offense occurred in Florida. No attorney has been consulted yet. We are assuming she will have to go back and do some time. I don't think we want to fight extradition, just trying to figure out if they want her bad enough for that.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she has only been in jail for four days. She has three children who are now in foster care.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

I'm sorry to hear that your friend is incarcerated. Unfortunately, Texas has extremely tough drug laws. 1/3 of a gram of cocaine is considered a lot under Texas laws and equals felony jail time. Transportation and incarceration are the major costs of having someone extradited, but Texas will do it. It is built into the Texas probation system.

There is a strong possibility that your friend will have to complete the balance of prison time left on the sentence with drug rehab in Texas for the violation of probation. Texas will see that probation did not work for your friend.

Fighting extradition will only delay the ultimate Texas proceedings. As it is, your friend could wait several weeks before she is returned to Texas. This is without fighting the extradition. I'm really sorry to hear about the kids.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help you more.

If you are satisfied with my help, I ask that you rate me by clicking on the stars.