Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

I would like to ask you about a hit and run misdemeanor?

Customer Question

Hey My name is***** and I would like to ask you about a hit and run misdemeanor?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Louisiana. I was driving on a business hwy, and fell asleep behind the wheel after an 10 hour shift of work and 4 hour ride home. I didn't realize anything happen, it woke me up and no car or nothing was stopped in front of me, I thought maybe when I ran into the ditch I hit the culvert or something and didn't think anything about it and went home. Later got a call from the police dept, and a officer told me about it, and said if I was to come in I would just have to give him my insurance info etc. and no ticket. Comes back out the office after getting my info and tells me to sign a hit and run ticket
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. don't really have the money
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No That's it
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

A drug overdose would be considered a minor misdemeanor. The statute of limitations would be 6 months.

Here is the law:

2925.11 Possession of controlled substances.

(A) No person shall knowingly obtain, possess, or use a controlled substance or a controlled substance analog.

(B)

(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) Manufacturers, licensed health professionals authorized to prescribe drugs, pharmacists, owners of pharmacies, and other persons whose conduct was in accordance with Chapters 3719., 4715., 4723., 4729., 4730., 4731., and 4741. of the Revised Code;

(b) If the offense involves an anabolic steroid, any person who is conducting or participating in a research project involving the use of an anabolic steroid if the project has been approved by the United States food and drug administration;

(c) Any person who sells, offers for sale, prescribes, dispenses, or administers for livestock or other nonhuman species an anabolic steroid that is expressly intended for administration through implants to livestock or other nonhuman species and approved for that purpose under the "Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act," 52 Stat. 1040 (1938), 21 U.S.C.A. 301, as amended, and is sold, offered for sale, prescribed, dispensed, or administered for that purpose in accordance with that act;

(d) Any person who obtained the controlled substance pursuant to a lawful prescription issued by a licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs.

(2)

(a) As used in division (B)(2) of this section:

(i) "Community addiction services provider" has the same meaning as in section 5119.01 of the Revised Code.

(ii) "Community control sanction" and "drug treatment program" have the same meanings as in section 2929.01 of the Revised Code.

(iii) "Health care facility" has the same meaning as in section 2919.16 of the Revised Code.

(iv) "Minor drug possession offense" means a violation of this section that is a misdemeanor or a felony of the fifth degree.

(v) "Post-release control sanction" has the same meaning as in section 2967.28 of the Revised Code.

(vi) "Peace officer" has the same meaning as in section 2935.01 of the Revised Code.

(vii) "Public agency" has the same meaning as in section 2930.01 of the Revised Code.

(viii) "Qualified individual" means a person who is not on community control or post-release control and is a person acting in good faith who seeks or obtains medical assistance for another person who is experiencing a drug overdose, a person who experiences a drug overdose and who seeks medical assistance for that overdose, or a person who is the subject of another person seeking or obtaining medical assistance for that overdose as described in division (B)(2)(b) of this section.

(ix) "Seek or obtain medical assistance" includes, but is not limited to making a 9-1-1 call, contacting in person or by telephone call an on-duty peace officer, or transporting or presenting a person to a health care facility.

(b) Subject to division (B)(2)(f) of this section, a qualified individual shall not be arrested, charged, prosecuted, convicted, or penalized pursuant to this chapter for a minor drug possession offense if all of the following apply:

(i) The evidence of the obtaining, possession, or use of the controlled substance or controlled substance analog that would be the basis of the offense was obtained as a result of the qualified individual seeking the medical assistance or experiencing an overdose and needing medical assistance.

(ii) Subject to division (B)(2)(g) of this section, within thirty days after seeking or obtaining the medical assistance, the qualified individual seeks and obtains a screening and receives a referral for treatment from a community addiction services provider or a properly credentialed addiction treatment professional.

(iii) Subject to division (B)(2)(g) of this section, the qualified individual who obtains a screening and receives a referral for treatment under division (B)(2)(b)(ii) of this section, upon the request of any prosecuting attorney, submits documentation to the prosecuting attorney that verifies that the qualified individual satisfied the requirements of that division. The documentation shall be limited to the date and time of the screening obtained and referral received.

(c) If a person is found to be in violation of any community control sanction and if the violation is a result of either of the following, the court shall first consider ordering the person's participation or continued participation in a drug treatment program or mitigating the penalty specified in section 2929.13. 2929.15. or 2929.25 of the Revised Code, whichever is applicable, after which the court has the discretion either to order the person's participation or continued participation in a drug treatment program or to impose the penalty with the mitigating factor specified in any of those applicable sections:

(i) Seeking or obtaining medical assistance in good faith for another person who is experiencing a drug overdose;

(ii) Experiencing a drug overdose and seeking medical assistance for that overdose or being the subject of another person seeking or obtaining medical assistance for that overdose as described in division (B)(2)(b) of this section.

(d) If a person is found to be in violation of any post-release control sanction and if the violation is a result of either of the following, the court or the parole board shall first consider ordering the person's participation or continued participation in a drug treatment program or mitigating the penalty specified in section 2929.141 or2967.28 of the Revised Code, whichever is applicable, after which the court or the parole board has the discretion either to order the person's participation or continued participation in a drug treatment program or to impose the penalty with the mitigating factor specified in either of those applicable sections:

(ii) Experiencing a drug overdose and seeking medical assistance for that emergency or being the subject of another person seeking or obtaining medical assistance for that overdose as described in division (B)(2)(b) of this section.

(e) Nothing in division (B)(2)(b) of this section shall be construed to do any of the following:

(i) Limit the admissibility of any evidence in connection with the investigation or prosecution of a crime with regards ***** ***** defendant who does not qualify for the protections of division (B)(2)(b) of this section or with regards ***** ***** crime other than a minor drug possession offense committed by a person who qualifies for protection pursuant to division (B)(2)(b) of this section for a minor drug possession offense;

However, the police are more interested in the drug dealers who sell drugs that lead to overdoses.

Please let me know if I can help more. I will be happy to answer more of your questions.

If you are satisfied with my help please rate me.

Sorry. This response was meant for another customer. I will be with you shortly.

Was anyone hurt in the accident?

I ask this because of what the law says. Here is how "hit and run is defined":

2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 14:100 — Hit-and-run driving

§100. Hit-and-run driving

A. Hit and run driving is the intentional failure of the driver of a vehicle involved in or causing any accident, to stop such vehicle at the scene of the accident, to give his identity, and to render reasonable aid.

B. For the purpose of this Section:

(1) "To give his identity", means that the driver of any vehicle involved in any accident shall give his name, address, and the license number of his vehicle, or shall report the accident to the police.

(2) "Serious bodily injury" means bodily injury which involves unconsciousness, extreme physical pain, or protracted and obvious disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member, organ, or mental faculty, or a substantial risk of death.

(3) "Vehicle" includes a watercraft.

(4) "Accident" means an incident or event resulting in damage to property or injury to person.

C.(1)(a) Whoever commits the crime of hit-and-run driving where there is no death or serious bodily injury shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

(b) Whoever commits the crime of hit-and-run driving where there is no death or serious bodily injury shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, imprisoned for not less than ten days nor more than six months, or both when: (i) there is evidence that the vehicle operator consumed alcohol or used drugs or a controlled dangerous substance prior to the accident; (ii) the consumption of the alcohol, drugs, or a controlled dangerous substance contributed to the accident; and (iii) the driver failed to stop, give his identity, or render aid with the knowledge that his actions could affect an actual or potential present, past, or future criminal investigation or proceeding.

(2) Whoever commits the crime of hit-and-run driving, when death or serious bodily injury is a direct result of the accident and when the driver knew or should have known that death or serious bodily injury has occurred, shall be fined not more than five thousand dollars or imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than ten years, or both.

(3) Whoever commits the crime of hit-and-run driving where all of the following conditions are met shall be imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not less than five years nor more than twenty years:

(a) Death or serious bodily injury is a direct result of the accident.

(b) The driver knew or must have known that the vehicle he was operating was involved in an accident or that his operation of the vehicle was the direct cause of an accident.

(c) The driver had been previously convicted of any of the following:

(i) A violation of R.S. 14:98, or a law or an ordinance of any state or political subdivision prohibiting operation of any vehicle or means of transportation or conveyance while intoxicated, impaired, or while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or any controlled dangerous substance on two or more occasions within ten years of this offense.

(ii) A violation of R.S. 14:32.1-vehicular homicide.

(iii) A violation of R.S. 14:39.1-vehicular negligent injuring.

(iv) A violation of R.S. 14:39.2-first degree vehicular negligent injuring.