Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a question...I have been out of work since July

Customer Question

I have a question...I have been out of work since July 30th,2016 if u go by the doctors note. But the last day I actually worked was July 22,2016. My job filled out my Aflac form going by the dr.note. I changed my date not thinking anything of it. Now my job trying to say I committed fraud. I didn't do it intentionally. Will
Aflac give me the chance to pay the money baby 7 to 9
days
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 29 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am the fraud expert who will be assisting you today.

What exactly is the Aflac form that you are referring to?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 29 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a criminal lawyer. Has your employer notified the police?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 29 days ago.

Here's the thing --

Intentionally altering a claims form to get monies you are not entitled to is insurance fraud. Sometimes, if you are proactive, contact the carrier, say that you made a mistake and offer to repay any money you shouldn't have received, you can avert a prosecution. Other times, even if you pay them back, the insurance company will not find that good enough, will turn the file over to the authorities and have you prosecuted for the fraud.

So, yes, I'm sure that you can get an opportunity to pay back Aflac, since they are going to be able to get that money back either from you now or later in the form of restitution. But there's no guarantee that your paying them back will be the end of the matter.