LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I'm sorry but my question before was incomplete--I sent by

Customer Question

I'm sorry but my question before was incomplete--I sent by accident. I'm having browser issues with this site. Please review my situation again with the updated info and see the following questions. A couple you already answered. Thanks!I'm on parole in New York State for a fraud conviction. I was released a year ago and have 2 years parole. I was allowed to transfer to California when released through Interstate Compact. In California I only had write-ins once a month.I moved to New Orleans in May without telling California parole--I just continued to do my write-ins and had no problem.Somebody turned me in and told California I'm in New Orleans. I expect them to violate me today.Once violated, does this case remain in California or go back to New York where it originated?To what lengths would Louisiana look for me? Do they care about a NY/CA parole violator?I know someone with an outstanding arrest warrant in California who now lives in Texas. He's been arrested in Texas but they don't extradite him to Cali on the warrant. Would Louisiana offer the same protection if I was pulled over for a traffic ticket?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

It's Doug again.

When NY transferred your parole to CA that made CA solely responsible for your parole term and NY is out of the picture. If you are violated and caught, then it will be the state of CA that deals with the violation. Again, NY is no longer in the picture.

And yes, the state of Louisiana does care----but they are not going to hunt for you. If you pop up on their radar because you are stopped, then you will be arrested. CA will not extradite every violator and much depends on your parole officer and whether he pushes for the extradition.

By the way, it was not Texas protecting your friend from extradition. It was CA that didn't bother to seek to extradite him.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
with regards ***** ***** violation for leaving the state of CA, would the penalty be totally dependent on what a judge says? If I had 2 years parole and I already completed one, does that mean the maximum I could be sent back to prison would be 1 more year? Is this something I could hire abn attorney for to negotiate a deal prior to turning myself in? Like I'd said--I was a low priority--I only did monthly mail-ins.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

You wrote: with regards ***** ***** violation for leaving the state of CA, would the penalty be totally dependent on what a judge says? The CA Parole Board is in charge of determining your fate.

If I had 2 years parole and I already completed one, does that mean the maximum I could be sent back to prison would be 1 more year? Street time is lost if you are violated. If you had 2 years of incarceration remaining when you went on parole, you could be sent back to prison for the full 2 years.

Is this something I could hire abn attorney for to negotiate a deal prior to turning myself in? No, the Parole Board is not going to negotiate with you prior to your arrest and holding for the revocation hearing.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug