Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am 17 and my boyfriend is 29. We had sex and now his mom

Customer Question

I am 17 and my boyfriend is 29. We had sex and now his mom is trying to press charges. Is it illegal?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And just to clarify, have charges been officially filed?
Customer: North carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 24 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 24 days ago.

The age of consent in North Carolina is 16, so as long as you are at least 16, your state says you're capable of consenting to sex and your boyfriend can't typically be charged with statutory rape for consensual sex, no matter how old he is.

However, there's an exception to that general rule, which can be found in GS_14-27.32 If your boyfriend is at least 4 years older than you are and is your teacher, school administrator, student teacher, school safety officer, or coach and the sex occured during the time you were a student there, he could be prosecuted, despite your consent, and would be facing a Class G felony.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 23 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.