RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

If I was convicted of a crime (misdemeanor causing me to

Customer Question

if I was convicted of a crime (misdemeanor causing me to lose my nursing licence) 20 years ago and am now medically disabled can I receive federal disability benefits?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Call me . May be easier

The general rule is that a felony conviction has no impact on eligibility for Social Security or SSI benefits. There are a few exceptions to this rule. You are not eligible for Social Security disability benefits (SSDI) if:

• your disability arose (or was made worse) while you were committing a felony
  • your disability arose (or was made worse) while you were imprisoned in a jail, prison, or correctional facility for a felony conviction, or
  • you made yourself a widow or an orphan by killing your spouse or parent (this applies to Social Security survivors benefits).

Since it doesn't sound like any of that was the case, you are okay to file for disability benefits.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

I did just try to call, my screen said there was a payment failure? It won't provide any information for me to call until that is corrected.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 29 days ago.

If you're still looking for assistance, we can continue to chat back and forth on this forum, and I'm happy to assist.