Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My son-in-law is on felony probation in missouri for drugs &

Customer Question

My son-in-law is on felony probation in missouri for drugs & theft. Unfortunately he has relasped. I was able to get him in good facility tonight but it's in kansas. Can he go? We have it cleared at facility for him to make his probation check on 17th then return to facilty. But obviously dont want him to be in even bigger trouble forvtrying to dobright thing
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Missouri. All I know was he stole a car & was caught arked at gas station shooting up
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No this rehab is last minute thing as they usually are.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Idk guess not
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I'm sorry to hear about your son-in-law's situation.

Even though it definitely is a great idea for him to go to the rehab facility and get the help he needs, you need to make sure that it's not against the specific terms of his probation.

Does his probation permit him to leave the state without first notifying his probation officer? (Usually something like that requires approval).

Also, the stolen car and being caught at the gas station-- is that a new incident or was that the original charge? The reason I ask is because any new incidents like that would be grounds for a probation violation. Therefore if he left to the rehab facility, it unfortunately could be viewed as fleeing.

I just wanted to make sure you received my prior message. You can reply back to me, our conversation won't close and the site won't charge you additionally, this is meant to be more of a back and forth conversation to get you the help you need.