Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I was arrested for obstructing an officer because I said I

Customer Question

I was arrested for obstructing an officer because I said I need to speak with an attorney before I consent to a warrant less search
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

From the information you've given you definitely should not have been arrested for obstructing an officer, as you were merely exercising your constitutional right. I'm glad you asked for your attorney, rather than consenting to a possibly unauthorized search.

My recommendation would be to hire a local defense attorney to represent you in this matter. Based on the information you shared, you should not have been arrested, and definitely have grounds for getting your case dismissed. Having an attorney working proactively on your behalf can make a big difference in the outcome of your case, especially by speaking with the prosecutor early on. Since this is a misdemeanor charge, the cost of an attorney should not be expensive.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can continue our conversation for free after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 29 days ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!