Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My Friend name is ***** and He committed a crime of

Customer Question

My Friend name is ***** and He committed a crime of international fraud of IRS scam.
US attorney offered him one year and one day in prison so can you tell me how many days and nights? is this day is 12 hours or 24 hours? and also he is on student visa so is this case effect ***** student visa? this crime is first crime and as a Federal point he has a 18 points so what they will do with him?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 26 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
thanx
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 26 days ago.

You have already told me what he is being offered, a year and a day (366 calendar days) in jail. If he takes the offer, he can expect to only serve about 10 1/2 months of that.

And yes, unfortunately, if he's convicted this will affect his student visa. He can expect deportation at the end of his sentence as the IRS scam is a fraud offense.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 25 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Sorry he has a 15 federal points so anything is possible to jail to probation
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 25 days ago.

Yes, but the government is not offering him probation. So he can fight the case and risk more prison if he's convicted, he can take the 366 days, after which he will likely face deportation, or he can try to have his lawyer negotiate something better.