Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My case is running in federal court and us attorney offered

Customer Question

my case is running in federal court and us attorney offered me one year and one day in prison what is the one year and one day? how many days and nights?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Wisconsin
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: my lowyer told me this but i want some information from another lowyer that's way i am talking with you
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 28 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. This literally means one year and one day, meaning 365 days + 1 day = 366 days.

However, one can earn reduced terms for good behavior. In addition, normally one gets credit for any days spent while jailed before bonding out during the case itself.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
My Friend name is ***** and He committed a crime of international fraud of IRS scam.
US attorney offered him one year and one day in prison so can you tell me how many days and nights? is this day is 12 hours or 24 hours? and also he is on student visa so is this case effect Sunil student visa? this crime is first crime and as a Federal point he has a 18 points so what they will do with him?
Expert:  Ely replied 28 days ago.
US attorney offered him one year and one day in prison so can you tell me how many days and nights?
This literally means one year and one day, meaning 365 days + 1 day = 366 days.
So, 366 days. The legal system goes by days, and there is 24 hours in a day.
and also he is on student visa so is this case effect Sunil student visa?
Yes. The student visa will be voided. Upon release, Sinul will be removed (deported) from USA.
this crime is first crime and as a Federal point he has a 18 points so what they will do with him?
Eighteen points means how many points the Defendant would have IF THEY ARE FOUND GUILTY, and would be applied at sentencing. See here:
www.ussc.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/about/overview/Overview_Federal_Sentencing_Guidelines.pdf
However, that is IF he goes to trial and is found guilty. The offer the US Attorney is making (1 year plus 1 day) would override that, if Sunil takes the offer.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Sorry he has a 15 federal points so anything is possible to jail to probation
Expert:  Ely replied 27 days ago.
it is possible to receive probation after incarceration.
Expert:  Ely replied 27 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!