Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Just trying to find out why UPS went back 15yrs on a

Customer Question

Just trying to find out why UPS went back 15yrs on a background check on me when I had work for them in 2007 in Lynnfield,Ma
JA: In what state did this occur? And has an attorney been consulted?
Customer: NC
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 27 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no law in NC regarding the term that a company can do a background check, although typically 7-10 years is the normal amount of time. However, legally, they have the right to go back as far as they want in NC to investigate a background, even if you had worked for them before. It actually is quite a waste of money if they had a previous background check from 2007, since the information from that background check backward would not change and only future information could change, but legally they are allowed to do so in NC.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.