Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I've been subpoenaed to appear in court to testify against

Customer Question

I've been subpoenaed to appear in court to testify against my sister and her codependence at the time of this crime I was incarcerated and I don't understand why I've been subpoenaed
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 30 days ago.

Good evening Mike, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

Is this an Arizona criminal case that you're being subpoenaed to?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure why you would have been subpoenaed to testify against her if you were incarcerated at the time of the alleged crime.

I do want to let you know that even though you were subpoenaed, you don't necessarily have to appear in court, again especially since you were not a witness to the alleged incident. Subpoenas often state that there's a legal penalty if you don't appear in court in testify, but I've never once witnessed someone sought out and arrested on this basis. Technically, you could perhaps be held in contempt, however as I stated I've never seen someone sought out and criminally penalized for the failure to appear for a subpoena (unless they were the actual defendant in the case).

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can continue our conversation for free after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Can i request a public defender to represent me in this

Hi Mike, public defenders are reserved only for the defendants in a criminal case (who financially qualify to have one). So no, you would be unable to have one.

If you're interested in having an attorney, I'm sure you could call around to some local defense attorneys, and the cost would be very low/affordable for something like this matter.

Just a gentle reminder, please take a moment to kindly rate me using 3 stars or more as it's the only way I'm compensated for my time here at JustAnswer, the experts on the site do not receive a salary and are only compensated if you leave a positive rating. Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 29 days ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!